Employers use the IST to test the abilities of applicants for jobs in the industrial sphere. These jobs can be in the areas of manufacturing, shipping, and distribution. Employers also use it to test current employees and assess if they are suited to the work they are engaged in. What is an Industrial Skills Test (IST) ?
If you have applied for an industrial job you can expect to come across the test in the recruitment process. As with all pre-employment tests employers use the IST to evaluate applicants, before deciding who will progress to the interview stage.
What companies use the IST?
A wide range of companies use the test but chief among them are:
Is the IST hard?
All pre-employment tests are hard because the prospective employer is seeking the best people to fill a position. He is looking for people who display the skills level required to carry out the work. Because of the high level of applicants for jobs in the industrial sphere, you will be in competition with many more applicants when you do this test, something that again stresses the need to prepare for the IST.
From the test the employer can determine if you have:
- The ability to follow instructions
- The aptitude to follow work processes
The questions in the test have been developed by psychologists to test your abilities in these areas. With good preparation and work, you can rise above the competition and ace the test.
How can I prepare for the IST?
To prepare for any test you need accurate information on what the test actually entails. For this, we advise relying on the services of a reliable test preparation company like Job Test Prep. You can get all the information you need from Job Test Prep and also the resources that will help you to prepare.
It is recommended you get a test prep pack containing sample test papers mirrored on the real test.
Using the sample papers will help you to:
- Become familiar with the format of the tests
- Access detailed explanations of the questions asked
- Give you the confidence of knowing that there will be no unpleasant surprises in the real test
What does the Industrial Skills Test consist of?
There are three sections in the test each made up of multiple-choice questions. All three are timed tests.
You will be tested in each of the following sections:
Tips to prepare for the IST test
Knowing what is being tested in each of the sections and with your sample papers to hand, it is time to put a preparation routine in place.
Try the following tips to make your preparation more effective:
- Work in a designated, distraction-free place for all preparation sessions
- Work to a timetable, especially if you are already working a job or haven’t taken a test in some time
- Aim to leave the day prior to the test free for last-minute reviews and to rest before taking the test
- Work in short (50 minutes) blocks of time followed by 10-minute breaks
- Get adequate rest, nutrition, and exercise. This will help your brain to work better.